Importance of Creating Moodboards + Downloaded Freebie!

Friday, December 4, 2015

If you followed my rebrand process over the last few weeks and caught the post a few Saturday's back, you might know that a Moodboard was a huge part of my branding process. I also spent a whole section in my eBook: Behind the Scenes of Embrace & Ignite's Rebrand talking about my Moodboard in relation to my rebranding process. After realizing the importance of Moodboards for myself, I knew this was the perfect time to make a post.
(If you're interested in downloading and reading the eBook, just click the purple bar in the bottom of the post).

What is a Moodboard?
The number one question I get asked is what exactly a Moodboard is. Many people see these boards and see an arrangement (or collage) of pictures, images, colors and more. But they don't really know what these collage of images are put together for.

"An arrangement of images, materials, pieces of text, etc., intended to evoke or project a particular style or concept."
via Google

These Moodboards are exactly what they say they are; they are boards (arrangements of images) that make a person have feelings or moods towards them. For example, if you look at a Moodboard and it was filled with images of ballet dancers and lots of pink, you might think this board was girly and young. Whereas something made of simple black and white would evoke a different feeling in you. For me, these boards are meant to give a visual representation of what my brand is and who I am as the owner behind the brand. Each image, color, font and other elements of the Moodboard is what speaks to those viewing it.



Two Types of Moodboards
Did you know there are two types of Moodboards that you can create? Digital and Physical.

Digital Moodboards are what I focus on both on my blog and through my design work. So chances are if you are working with me on a design project you will get several Digital Moodboards in relation to your brand. I make mine by using Photoshop (you can also use PicMonkey or Canva) and the tools available to me through that program. I love using Digital Moodboards because I find them really easy to manipulate and get just right.

Physical Moodboards are another great option (especially for those who don't have access to a program like Photoshop). Basically what Physical Moodboard's are is a collage of images from magazines or that you've printed off the internet. These images are then placed in a neatly formed shape or placed at random. Physical Moodboards allow the creator to be hands on and really feel their brand and what they are making. These also allow for a more personal connection to the Moodboards.

How Can I Use a Moodboard?
Moodboards can be used in a variety of different ways and for a variety of different reasons. Generally they are used for Graphic Designers to work side by side with a client to create an overall image for their branding or website they are creating together. However, they can also be used to:

+ Create inspiration for any project
+ Help gain knowledge of matching elements (ex: font pairings)
+ Help gain knowledge of Photoshop tool
+ And MUCH more!

How Can I Create a Moodboard?
So now that you know what a Moodboard is, the different types and how to use them its now time to get to work. But wait Krystal, how do I create a Moodboard? Where do I find images? Can I create a Moodboard for no reason?

Yes. You can create a Moodboard for no reason. I do it all the time. I like creating just to keep my eye keen and to make sure I am constantly keeping my graphic design skills in check. I don't even publish most of mine.

Finding images is my favorite part of creating a Moodboard. Google is a great option for a large selection of images but I find Pinterest to be the most successful place for me. Pinterest has very stylized images and its really easy to find images that fit the branding and style you are going for AND that are also the perfect size for a Moodboard.

Finally, here is a list of steps that I use when I create my own Moodboards:

1) Start a Pinterest Board and collect any and all images that you think might be useful to Moodboards. This way you always have a place to go for images when you're starting a new project. I've chosen to leave this board private on my page because of the variations of images.

2) Choose about 5-6 images that work together and that you enjoy. These images could have the same color scheme or style. Or they could just be images that you like. Start by putting these into one document and crop, edit and rotate the images until you like the outcome. Generally I make my images even squares and place them next to each other until I like how each image flows to the next.

Here is an example:

3) Add patterns, textures, fonts or other elements that will make your Moodboard unique and standout. Remember, you want these boards to really speak to those seeing them and convey a message or feeling. Make sure things like font's are readable but match your images. Think of things that might be contrasting and complimentary, as these items will go together best.

4) Finally, play with your Moodboard. Rotate your images, play with your colors, sizing and shapes to create exactly what you are looking for. There is no right or wrong answer to Moodboards. You can also use things called Templates, which basically are blocked off images of where you can place your content. These templates require little thought other than what images should go where.

Moodboards are an amazing way to be creative, share your brand and develop an overall emotional connection towards your designs. They are my absolute favorite way to help myself and my clients brand their blogs and websites. I hope that through this post you now understand the importance of why using Moodboards for branding can be important. I also decided that for this post I would share with you some specially designed Moodboard Templates for you to download. These templates will help you to develop your very own Moodboards without all the guess work.

PS: Don't have time to create your won Moodboard for your branding, blog or website! HIRE ME! To learn more about my Moodboard Packages and what's involved, please leave a comment on this post or contact me via e-mail: krystal.sweetxsunshine@hotail.com

* Click below to download the Moodboard Template Freebie Pack!




post signature
** Templates were designed used Photoshop CS 6 Extended and are intended to be used with any version of Photoshop. Instructions for use are included in each Moodboard Template, upon opening them.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Embrace and Ignite is a beauty blog run by Krystal-Marie which is dedicated to being the buzz-hub for the latest and greatest beauty products.

Thank you all for sharing my love of beauty and makeup and I look forward to connecting with you all in the comments section!